Friday, June 11, 2010

Shameless self-promotion

I've been holding this under my hat for about a month, under request not to yell it from the rooftops until the official announcement that happened Thursday at the 20th annual Canadian Journalism Foundation gala.
I am the recipient of the Gordon N. Fisher journalism fellowship at Massey College / University of Toronto for the 2010-11 academic year.
This means that starting this September, I'll be on an unpaid leave of absence from my job at the Sentinel-Review and living full-time in Toronto. The program provides a stipend and allows me to audit any course, at any level, offered by any faculty at the U of T.
My plan, and goals, are to audit courses at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (conveniently, at the end of the block from Massey College) for the upcoming year. This exposure will feed the policy wonk in my heart and reflect itself in my post-fellowship reporting.
At this point in time, months away from beginning the fellowship, I don't know what will happen with the time for this blog. Given I've had so little in the last six months, it may actually increase. Or, surrounded by the college-life ambiance, I may have less time.

5 comments:

banderblogger said...

Congratulations!
I hope you continue your blog because it is a significant voice on education in Ontario.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Hugo!
I too hope you continue, if only because from one education reporter to another this blogs provides an important perspective and one that isn't often understood or given a forum like this.

I find this blog unique among blogs because it's not full of whiners and complainers but keeps a focus on facts rather than spin and all of the political nonsense we have way too much of when talking education.

It's the one place that puts education reporting on the map as we continue to be swallowed up by all of the "other" news.

It takes special understanding to write about education well. Few do so.

CC

Doretta Wilson said...

Congratulations Hugo,

When you are in TO drop in to meet us at SQE!

Sandy Crux said...

Well done Hugo. This will be a time in your life you will always remember. Enjoy it to the fullest.

What I would recommend is you keep this blog current by using it as a diary, letting us know what you are doing and what you are learning, the joys and frustrations as it were.

When you are going to be busy, you could simply mention that and we would know you would be back soon to tell us what you did.

In that way, once you are done, you may very well have a book in you stressing what it takes for personal change/transformation to happen -- like Joseph Campbell's journey of the hero.

http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/smc/journey/ref/summary.html

At the moment, you have been given the "Call to Adventure," Campbell's stage one. Fascinating.

Get ready for a great ride!

Education Reporter said...

Thanks all:
I couldn't help but think as I was reading these comments of how you're all right. The blog should continue— it's the format it takes that will most likely change. I won't be actively reporting, but I can still do my regular media monitoring as time allows.
I won't be as close to the ground on day-to-day things (like the 'Diluting the brand...' post) since I'm prohibited from working while on fellowship.
The courses I intend to take at OISE will no doubt be fodder for many a post.
Lastly, when I look at how neglected this space has been in the past six to eight months, there's really no where to go but up in terms of posting frequency.

Hugo