Monday, August 1, 2011

Changing

Friday, July 29, 2011 was my final day as a reporter working at the Sentinel-Review in Woodstock, Ont. After almost eight years (minus a fellowship) in that newsroom I will begin a new position at the Expositor in Brantford, Ont., starting tomorrow, Aug. 2, 2011.
I am indebted to the colleagues and friends I've worked with since 2003 at the Sentinel-Review. I'm also indebted to the community, where I have learned so much about the areas I've reported in, be it education, agriculture or municipal politics. In particular, sitting in the board rooms at the Thames Valley District School Board and the London District Catholic School Board only fed my knowledge and drive to specialize as an expert in K-12 education reporting in this province. As I established a relationship based on trust and professionalism with staff members in both those boards they responded by opening doors and allowing me to write about things many other education reporters in this province haven't.
My new position in Brantford will be primarily focused on covering municipal politics.
While I don't expect to regularly or often be writing about education for the Expositor, I will continue to write about it in this space, perhaps unencumbered. I rarely if ever blogged here about my own reporting, which did tend to leave issues within the district here absent from this space. Now that I'm moving on and also won't be paid (primarily) to write about education, I'll be freer to write here about what's happening there.
I've invested time and energy to become as knowledgeable about this subject and I won't soon be allowing that information to sit idle, so this blog will continue to be updated and I will continue to post in this space.

5 comments:

Hamilton-Wentworth said...

Congratulations! Hope you will cover the regional education scene down here as well.Quite a mix of urban and rural issues.

Doretta Wilson said...

Congratulations and all the best in your new position Hugo!

Education Reporter said...

Hamilton-Wentworth:
My new position is the city hall beat, so writing about education for the Expositor will be a rarity.

Doretta:
Thanks!

Hugo

Anonymous said...

Hi Hugo - I used to write exclusively on education matters too.
It happens to the best of us but oddly enough municipal politics and education collide during those things we now know as Accommodation Reviews so you can continue to get your fix in that way.

C.

Education Reporter said...

C:
Thanks... I think I'll still get my fix here more than at city hall.

Hugo